Whether it is just a holiday or you have planned a whole camping trip, you need to get your RV ready according to the weather. For example, you have to get the vehicle ready for the cold season so that the liquid doesn’t freeze inside it. On the other hand, the requirement of protecting yourself and your family from the sun’s heat arises during the summer. That is where the role of the best RV awning shade comes in.
These sunshades help in keeping a certain area around your RV cool and shielded from the sun. Therefore, you can enjoy having lunch, or your kids can play nearby without any worries. But you must know here that it isn’t easy to pick an RV awning shade. You need to check various factors before making a decision. To assist you, I have brought here a few of the top-quality awning shade options you can consider for your RV.
Before we get into the reviews, I’ll briefly go over the factors you need to consider before coming to a decision. Understanding what aspect will impact the awning shade’s performance will help you pinpoint the most suitable product among my list of recommendations.
- Style: RV awning shades may come in different types. You can easily find a complete kit containing everything you need for installation like bungee cords and RV sunscreen. Some models use stakes to set foot on the ground while other RV awning drop shade models simply hang on the awning.
- Material: Look at the quality of the fabric to ensure that it’s durable enough to work as both a sun shield and windshield. Most of the awning shades in this list are made of a vinyl-coated mesh to see the natural view outside. For better sun protection, opt for a thicker material.
- Extra Features: Putting the RV shade canopy on and off the rig can be a little daunting, so try to find a model that comes with a zipper. You’ll also have to consider whether you’re getting a front panel or a side one for total sun protection. Also, choose a color that matches your preference.
So without further ado, let’s get started.
|Product name||Outstanding Features|
|Tentproinc RV Awning||
|Carefree Drop RV Awning||
|Shadeidea RV Sun Shade||
Table of Contents
Top-Rated Awning Shade Reviews
These product reviews are based on my individual experience. So I have mentioned all the factors that I have noticed in them.
1. Tentproinc RV Awning Sunshade
Let’s be honest; no one wants to spend money on something that doesn’t turn out to be useful. The only way you can avoid this problem is by looking into the features of the product and checking whether it is fit for your purpose or not. That is where the Tentproinc RV awning sunshade stands out.
It goes perfectly with most of the awning options out there. What I found most exciting is the kit comes along with the RV sunscreen. The kit with bungee balls and plastic stakes makes it easy to install and remove the shade.
Plus, it is made from excellent material that not only stops the sun and wind but also doesn’t let the product wear out soon. So you can comfortably use it for a longest time.
The screen will stop most of the heat while providing a pleasant atmosphere to relax in. You can even choose from a massive range of measurement options available. Hence, you need not worry about the well-fitting of the product.
Another thing about this awning shade, which makes it different from others, is that you can find it in multiple colors. Usually, these screens are available in just one color, i.e., black. But that isn’t the case with this awning shade. Thus, you need not compromise on this factor, and you can easily pick your favorite color.
2. Carefree Drop RV Awning EZ ZipBlocker
Going camping means you want to spend your day in leisure. When you want to keep everything simple and relax for most of the day, Carefree 701509 is the solution for you. I will start its review with its appealing factor, i.e., ZipBlocker.
You don’t need to put on and take off the entire RV sun blocker every time. The product feature allows you just to take off the lower part of the screen and keep it inside. So when you want to use it again, you won’t have to install it from the beginning. You can simply put on the zipper and use it.
What makes the product further impressive is its lightweight black mesh. I found that the material provides a perfect balance between privacy and a natural view.
One more thing that caught my attention was its top panel, which is the one that stays with the awning. It slides easily into the roller tubes of the awning through its open slot. Hence, you need not go through any hassle of bracket fitting. The top panel will also roll with your awning and won’t keep on hanging on the side.
3. Shadeidea RV Sun Shade
Summers or hot weather is the most suitable time for RV camping. However, it also brings in the problem of sun exposure and heat damage to the body. Especially if you have a toddler in the house, you need to be more careful.
The only solution to this problem is to use a sunshade with your RV awning. Shadeidea RV sunshade screen proves to be highly effective in blocking the sun and providing a cool and safe area to relax.
The feature of this RV sunshade that caught my eye is its “one-way” view protector. It helps in increasing the privacy of the protected area by not letting any far-away people see you through it, while you can easily have a look at the surroundings from the inside. If you like to spend your camping in secrecy, this will be a huge benefit to you.
The mesh cloth used for making this sunscreen is extremely durable. The manufacturer offers you a heavy-duty fabric that has got a vinyl coating. So a single sunshade goes a long way.
Plus, the product comes with metal stakes that can be easily screwed into the ground because of its design. Overall, you won’t face any difficulty in installing the shade even if you don’t have any experience in doing the task.
4. Tentproinc RV Awning Side Sun Shade
Most people put a mesh in the front of their awning and expect complete results. If you are like them, you should stop doing this right away because the awning sides can also cause sun and exposure problems to you. When you want absolute sun protection, you need Tentproinc RV Awning Side Sun Shade.
It is made specifically for covering the sides of the awning so that the sun won’t be able to attack you from any direction.
Along with sun rays, this awning shade also keeps you safe from the cross-wind. Thus, creating a comfortable environment to sit and relax. You can use it alone as well on the days when the sun isn’t too harsh.
The sunscreen comes with a storage bag, so you do not need to worry about keeping it in the open and damaging the mesh. Plus, the mesh doesn’t hinder the surroundings entirely. You can still get a “close to nature” feeling while sitting in its shade.
To get the best fit for your RV awning, you have to measure it appropriately. Usually, these include the length of your RV awning from the ground and its width. Once you have the measurements, you can pick the correct size of the screen. It will make the installation and usage process easy. Otherwise, you will have to trim it according to your individual requirement.
5. EZ Travel Collection RV Awning Shade
The basic expectation from an RV awning screen shade is to save you from the sun, keep it intact for longer, and don’t take time to install or remove. EZ Travel Collection RV Awning Shade fulfills all these requirements better than the other alternatives. It doesn’t cause you any trouble, and you can enjoy its seamless usage.
This RV awning shade is made of superior durability material and extremely light in weight. So, it can withstand daily weather pressure with ease, without getting worn out easily. You can carry it conveniently in your vehicle without occupying much space.
What I found exciting about this screen is its installation process. Unlike other ‘complex to install’ variants, you can easily attach it through the awning hooks. Hence, you can quickly put it up and relax under it.
It covers up the area to provide you enough privacy from the surroundings, but it doesn’t block the view entirely. So you need not compromise on the natural environment. Plus, there will be no sunburns or allergies because the mesh material blocks a significant amount of sun rays, which can cause you and your family trouble
6. Shade Pro Vista Shade
One of the major concerns while purchasing an RV awning shade is whether or not the screen will fit into your awning. You need to take care of the size, installation options, and compatibility of the product with your awning.
If you don’t want to take up all those hassles, you can simply go with the Shade Pro Vista Shade. It comes as a complete set for installing an awning shade with grommets, stakes, and a storage bag.
I think the primary feature that makes this RV awning screen shade interesting is that it can easily go with most of awning types. Hence, you won’t have to deal with incompatibility issues.
Plus, there is a huge range of colors to choose from. So you need not compromise with the classic black awning shade. You can select the color that matches with your awning and give a much better look to your RV.
The third aspect of concern, i.e., the size of the product, also get resolved with this. You can select from the various available sizes according to the awning and RV on which the sunscreen will be used. You just have to take proper measurements of the awning and then match it with the available sizes. You can then easily choose the most suitable one.
Not to forget, the zipper feature makes it extremely easy to use. You don’t need to take the entire shade off every time. You can simply unzip it from the middle and get going.
7. Leaveshade RV Awning Sunshade Screen
The only thing you expect on holiday is some cozy environment where you can spend your leisure time. But camping in direct sunlight shows you the exact opposite of it. To make your camping experience better, you can opt for Leaveshade RV Awning Sunshade Screen.
This front sun-blocking shade is designed for those times when you want to go through the sweat and burn created by the sun’s heat. Besides, the product includes all the necessary tools for installing and using. You won’t find it challenging to install or remove the shade, as it can be done quickly without any complications.
I loved the fact that the manufacturer keeps the actual measurements as references. It makes the selection process easy for you. All you need to do here is pick a measuring tape, get the exact dimensions of your awning, and match it with the available options. There is no hassle at all.
The factor that makes this sunshade better and unique from others is that it is wind and rainproof. Therefore, no matter what the weather is or whichever season it is, you can easily make a camping plan when you have this product with you.
It comes in two color options, so you need not stick with the traditional black pieces. Plus, it can easily maintain that cozy atmosphere, which will help you relax in the high temperatures.
8. Carefree Black Sideblocker
What is better than a cool atmosphere in the hot weather when you go out camping in the summer season? Even if you cover your RV awning with a front shade, you will still be exposed to the heat from the sides. In case you have kids, there will always be a danger of them getting harmed from the sun’s rays as they keep on going here and there.
To avoid all these problems, you can opt for a Carefree Sideblocker. The Sun-blocker actually blocks the sun’s glare and sun rays to make the atmosphere cool. Once you put it up, you need not worry about any heat-related issues. You can easily relax in the cool breeze while your kids can play in the area without danger. You can even accompany it with the front shades for more beneficial results.
The top-tier part of the shade is that unlike other expensive alternatives, this doesn’t dig a hole in your pocket. It is budget-friendly, and hence, you can easily get it.
Apart from these benefits, there are a few drawbacks to sunscreen. First, the installation process isn’t easy. If you aren’t familiar with drilling or putting up screws, I won’t recommend you to do the task on your own.
What To Know Before Buying RV Awning Shade
You must have seen by now that it isn’t easy to pick up an RV sunshade for your awning. Don’t worry if you are confused because I have created a small guide that will help you in finding the variant that is made just for you.
Types Of RV Awning Shades
The first thing you should know is the types of sunscreens that are available in the market. Once you get an idea of this, the further selection process will become easier.
- Complete Kit: This is one of the most popular kinds of RV awning shades that you can find. All the things that you require for their installation, usage, or removal are included in the package. You need not find the parts anywhere else. These are generally attached to your awning’s edges and stretched to the surface with bungee cords. Plus, they can easily get rolled up with the awning, making your work easy.
- No Bungee: These are almost similar to the complete kit, except for the bungee cords. They are usually tied to the ground using stakes or sandbags. You can pick sandbags if the surface is hard, like in desserts. But if the surface is soft like muddy or grassy, you can go with the stakes. It will work just fine. The only purpose of these two things is to weigh down the shade so that it remains in place.
- Hanging Shades: If you don’t want the hassle of anchoring or weighing down the sunscreen, you can opt for the simple hanging variants. These just need to be hooked up on the awning, and the lower part keeps on hanging. The only issue is that they don’t stand strong in front of strong breezes. But they still can be used for proper sun protection.
Material Of RV Awning Shades
Once you are sure about what type of sunscreen you want, the next step is to check its material. Fabric plays a crucial role in three aspects:
- Durability: The quality of the material used in the sunshade decides how long it will go with you. That is why you must opt for better quality fabric, so you won’t have to worry about the product getting in bad shape.
- Sun Protection: The denser the material, the more sun protection. In case you opt for a variant that offers lighter or low-quality material, it won’t solve your primary purpose of buying this shade, i.e., blocking the sun rays.
- Visibility: Last but not least, the fabric of the RV awning sunscreen also determines what you can see through it. There are certain types of material that provide complete privacy and don’t let anyone barge into your patio.
Therefore, you need the perfect material that can solve all these purposes as per your requirements. These factors will also affect the overall cost of the products because if you need to renew a cheaper product very often, then it will be costlier than the expensive product. So the most trusted option is to opt for a good-quality fabric.
Size Of RV Awning Shades
Some of the RV awning sunshades offer multiple size options, while others come in specific dimensions. To pick the top-quality product, you first need a measuring tape and open up the RV awning. Then you should start taking all the measurements as directed by the manufacturer of your product. When you have all the RV awning dimensions, you can easily pick a variant that will fit most suitable in your RV awning.
Front/Side Panels Of RV Awning Shades
This is the most crucial part of selecting an RV awning shade screen. There are two basic types of screens you can find,
- Front: These are bigger in dimensions, and they get attached to the front of the awning, covering the entrance of the RV. They are extremely useful in keeping the entire RV cool while creating a small patio for you. However, they leave the sides open. So you can still experience sun, heat, and wind coming into the area.
- Sides: These are smaller in dimension and get attached to the sides of the awning. They alone can’t keep the entire RV cool, but they certainly can protect you from the direct sun. So you won’t get burned by the heat.
Generally, it is recommended that you opt for both options to create a room-like structure outside your RV. This way, you receive 360-degree protection from heat, sun rays, and wind. Hence, there will be nothing to worry about. You can easily sit there and relax.
RV Awning Compatibility
Finally, you need to check whether or not your selection is compatible with your specific RV awning. Being an RV rider, you must know that just like shades, there are several types of awnings as well. It isn’t necessary for every sunscreen to fit well with every awning. Therefore, you should ensure that the selected shade is made for the type of awning that you have.
Color Of RV Awning Shades
This is the least important factor. Still, it should be given some consideration. If you want your RV to look good throughout the camping, you need a suitable color of sunscreen that matches the awning. Usually, you will find almost all variants in black color. However, there are some manufacturers that offer a wide range of colors. You can pick from them as per your preference and your awning’s color.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do RV awning shades work?
You must be familiar with the use of RV awnings. They are attached to the outside of your vehicle, and they provide additional protection from the factors like sun and rain. However, these awnings are usually small, and they just protect you from the above.
To increase safety from the sun, you need to use a sunblocker RV awning shade. These large products are made from dense and soft fabric. You need to place their one end on the awning and secure the other on the ground. They easily create a patio while protecting you from the sun from all sides. So you can sit outside of your RV and enjoy a cool area.
The shades also help in keeping the overall RV a little cooler. Thus, you won’t have to deal with a hot vehicle when you start moving again. But you need to keep in mind all the above-mentioned factors, or else, you won’t get proper protection.
Along with these basic factors, an RV awning shade can also help you in getting rid of strong winds, wild insects, and sometimes rain. This means they offer you complete safety from all external problems and give you a cool place to relax. Plus, it can help maintain privacy from the neighbors.
Who makes the most trusted RV awning shade?
Several manufacturers’ names come up when you enquire about RV awning shades. But you must buy these only from reliable producers. Otherwise, you will waste your money and effort on the wrong product. The three most trusted names you can go with are:
- Tentproinc: Tentproinc RV awning sun shade is quite a trusted name. You can find various types of products with them, and their customer reviews are always on the top.
- Carefree: They are known for designing some of the top-rated RV awning sunscreen products. You can pick any of its variants for your RV by checking its compatibility and usage.
- Shade Pro: They provide amazing products that are easy to use. Most RV owners are aware of the ease of shade pro awning installation.
There can be some other names in the list of top-tier RV awning sunshade manufacturers. So it is always preferable thing to check the feedback and then only buy sunscreen.
How do you attach a sunshade to an RV awning?
Firstly, it depends on the type of awning and sunshade that you have. Usually, it consists of these few steps:
- Step 1: You should start by completely opening the awning of your RV. This will help in easy installation.
- Step 2: Then, you need to attach the sunscreen to the rod of the awning. This step majorly depends on the type of shade you have picked. You can find a guide with the product that will assist you through this. You can read it.
- Step 3: Once you have attached the shade to the awning, the final step is to secure it on the ground. For that, you may prefer stakes, sandbags, or bungees.
After securing it from both sides, you can sit in the cozy area and have a great leisure time.
How do you clean and store RV awning shade?
Your RV awning sunscreen can get dirty with time, as it comes in contact with several external factors. You need to clean and store it properly if you want to increase its durability. Here is how you can do it:
- Cleaning: You must always use high-quality fabric cleaners for your sun shade for the camper awning. Just like the awning, this should also be protected with a guard so that it can stay clean for a long time.
- Store: For storing purposes, it is always suggested to roll the shade up or down to make it last longer. Once rolled, you can store the product in a safe bag or in the bag that may have come with the shade. It will keep the fabric away from too much exposure to the environment.
Usually, manufacturers mention cleaning and storing guidelines for their products. You should try to read that because they are according to the specific merchandise, and that practice will increase the lifespan of the shade.
How do you hold down your privacy screen?
Tie down your privacy screen so it won’t fly away when a strong wind blows. You can use bungee cords and pegs to hold the screen down. Compared to standard ropes, bungee cords are easier to fit into the fabric and can’t get tangled.
Another way is to attach a heavy, solid wood board to each side of the privacy screen. Concrete blocks also work well in keeping the screen down in any weather.
How do you protect your RV awning shade from sun damage?
You can apply a UV protection product, such as an RV awning protectant spray, to your screen attachment. Before you apply the product, clean the shade thoroughly. Remove any dust, dirt, or debris that has been embedded in the fabric.
Take note that some awning shades might be too delicate for some UV-protecting products, so read the manual before application.
Are all RV awnings shade the same width?
Not all RV awning shades have the same width. The width of a screen for travel trailer awning usually ranges from 6 feet to 22 feet. To get the right dimensions, measure properly.
How do you calculate sunshade size?
Measure your awning arms, center to center. To do so, simply run the measuring tape from the front arm’s center to the rear arm’s center. Whatever you get, subtract 10 inches so that the fabric won’t be longer than the end caps.
Let’s say, you get 16 feet; then the ideal sunshade is 15 feet and two inches long.
Having an existing sunshade is easier to fit. You can just measure the length of the old shade fabric and get a replacement with the same dimensions. If you have an existing 18 feet fabric, you can get a new canopy extension of 18 feet.
How to make a DIY RV awning shade?
If you want to save some bucks, you can make your own screen shade for electric RV awnings. It’s pretty easy.
Simply insert a mesh or any type of fabric into the awning arm. If your awning has no feeding tube, you can use clamps to secure the fabric onto the awning. Once done, hold the fabric down with stakes to prevent it from blowing with the wind.
Now that you know what to look for in the best RV awning shade, you can easily pick one. Else, you can opt for custom camper awnings according to your individual needs.
You can also read the mentioned reviews that will make your work further easy by informing you of some of the top-rated available options. But these reviews must only be considered once you have ensured that a particular product fits your requirements and with your RV awning. By picking the most suitable alternatives, you can ensure that all your RV or camping trips will become better than before.
Okay, so I’m Philip Lopez. I join Riverside Trailer as an editor, where I will be doing research for both content and reviews. I contribute to studies aimed at understanding the most typical problems encountered by RVers on the road. I also keep up with the newest RVing gadget innovations so that I can promptly evaluate and recommend the best options.