During installing the air conditioner for our RV, we always need to attach a gasket for protecting RV’s roof surface, preventing leak of the air. Additionally, the air conditioner can be kept tighten on the RV when travel. However, after a time, it can compress the gasket and become looser. These things will lead the rainwater coming into RV areas, creating stained roof and moist surroundings. When you recognize this phenomenon happening on your product, it is a great time to replace your gasket to protect both your RV and the cooler. In this article, I will introduce how to replace the RV air conditioner gasket most quickly.
Table of Contents
Prepare Tools and Supplies
- Knives (Utility knife and Putty knife)
- Rubbing alcohol
- Soft cloth
- Heat gun
- Old towels or blankets
Steps of Replacing the Old Gasket
Step 1: If your air conditioner becomes loose but you don’t see any stains on the roof, you can use the screwdriver to tighten the bolts. Otherwise, you need to follow step 2 for replacing the gasket.
Step 2: Determine the dimensions of your item. The gasket often come in two different sizes are 14×14 inches and 14×16 inches. When you have prepared entire tools for replacing the gasket, you must disconnect the electric connections of the appliance.
Step 3: Use masking tape to stick the towels or blankets on RV’s roof to protect its surface from being damaged.
Step 4: Determine positions of screws or bolts and remove them. You should preserve the fasteners in a safe place.
Step 5: After removing entire bolts, you pull the plastic shroud off other internal components carefully and place it aside. You ought to clean and check the place where the gasket was put. The solutions are allowed to use including simple green, mineral spirits or similar cleaner, etc.
Step 6: When removing the plastic shroud out of the appliance, you can see the screws used to connect the air conditioner to the gasket. Then, use the screwdriver to remove these bolts and free the item from RV.
Step 7: Find and observe the electrical connections between the appliance and RV. If they are attached with a harness-style, you can unsnap it carefully. Besides that, if you don’t find any connectors, you need to use the knife and cut the three wires.
Step 8: Take the air conditioner out of the original position.
Step 9: Be careful to pull the old gasket away from the roof. You can use the utility knife to cut the gasket as small pieces and remove them. Moreover, you could use a heat gun to soften the residue remaining and rub it with the putty knife.
Step 10: Make sure to remove an old gasket completely before installing a new one. Then, you ought to clean that position with a soft cloth and rubbing alcohol.
Step 11: When you have finished removing and clean up the site thoroughly, you can put a new gasket into a place where the old gasket was seated. You should be careful in this step because when the new gasket is stuck, it couldn’t be repositioned effortlessly.
Step 12: Place the air conditioner over this new gasket and reattach these materials in reverse order. Reconnect the wires together. Then, use a screwdriver to mount the bolts between the appliance and gasket.
Step 13: The last step is attaching the plastic shroud and check the unit.
Tips for RV Air Conditioner and Gasket Maintenance
Those steps above are introducing how to replace the gasket of the RV air conditioner. As you know, to prolong longevity any things, we must not only use them in the right way but also have good maintenance. Hence, I’m glad to offer a lot of helpful tips for users to maintain their gasket and appliance:
- Make sure that the plastic shroud covering over the cooler should be in good condition. Avoiding bad elements that can break this item.
- Observe surrounding areas to recognize leaks and stains. If your appliance appears these problems, you should replace your gasket immediately.
- You should fit the gasket into the opening to prevent air leaking.
- When you buy a new gasket, you can choose a black one to remove yellow stains on your RV roof.
- If your gasket is compressed too much by the appliance, you should install a new one to prevent damages on your RV.
- Avoid direct contact with wind, debris, rain, UV rays because they can weaken the plastic shroud.
- Do not overload the capacity of your RV air conditioner. You ought to keep the temperature of the appliance at a moderate setting to prolong its life.
- Sometimes you can open the roof vent to remove moisture and prevent damage to your appliance.
- You ought to test the condenser at least twice a year.
- Cover the air conditioner item in the off-season.
Those are tips to maintain your RV air conditioner and the gasket. We should take care of them regularly to prolong your items, save your time and money.
Did you find pieces of information good for you?
Let us know in this comment below!