Your RV dinette isn’t just for eating but also for sleeping when necessary. To travel with convenience, you want this space to be as comfortable as possible. We’ve done some experiments, and we discovered several ways on how to make RV dinette more comfortable.
You can replace the old, saggy cushions or get new ones. Also, consider adding a mattress topper or a bed mattress, getting pillows, and sheets, or upgrading the table.
For more details, continue reading below.
Table of Contents
- Method 1: Improving The Seat
- Method 2: Adding A Mattress Topper
- Method 3: Decorating the Dinette Area
Method 1: Improving The Seat
The bench area needs to be well-padded for maximum comfort. If the cushion is old, replace it with a new one. If it’s made of wood, add cushions.
What to Prepare
- Foam pad
- Old cushions
- Tape measure
Step 1. Replace The Old Foam
When used constantly, the seat cushions can get thin over time. This makes the dinette uncomfortable to sit or sleep in. To enhance comfort, we’re going to replace the old foam with a new one.
- Remove the seat cushion from the dinette, open the zipper, and take the foam out of the cover.
- Measure and make sure that the new foam fits into the cover. If not, remove the excess part with a knife.
- Insert the new foam into the cover. You may need an extra hand if you have a large seat cover.
Watch this video on how to insert new foam.
Step 2. Get New Cushions
When you want to change the old seat cushions altogether, you can get new ones. This particular step is also recommended if your bench is technically made of wood.
- Choose the style you want. You can find different colors and selections on Amazon and other stores.
- Measure the size. Get the length, width, and desired thickness of the cushion.
- If you have a limited budget, you can find some old cushions and get them reupholstered by a seamstress.
Method 2: Adding A Mattress Topper
One of the common RV dinette conversions is to make it into a bed. The dinette area serves as a place for eating during the day and a sleeping space at night. To make RV dinette bed more comfortable, add a mattress topper.
What to Prepare
- Mattress topper
- Tape measure
Step 1. Strengthen The Base
Since you’ll be adding plenty of fabric, you’ll want the base of the dinette to be very strong, or it will collapse eventually.
- Step 1: Remove all the cushions from the dinette bed.
- Step 2: Measure the bench and use a saw to cut the plywood according to size. You can also get the plywood pre-cut at your local hardware store for convenience.
- Step 3: Put the plywood on the bed to create a solid base, then return the cushions back to their place. At this point, the seat cushions might look a little higher than usual.
Add The Mattress Topper
Most dinette beds are not that thick or comfortable. To get good sleep, use an RV dinette mattress topper.
- Step 1: With a tape measure, get the dimensions of the dinette bed space and get a mattress topper with the same measurements.
- Step 2: Choose a mattress topper that suits your preference. Look for something thicker than two inches for support. For comfort, less than two inches is ideal.
- Step 3: Finally, put the mattress topper over the base.
Step 2. Opt For An RV dinette bed mattress
Another option to sleep comfortably in a camper is to use an RV mattress. You have a variety of choices, but the storage space can be an issue.
- Choose a mattress size that fits your needs. The size can vary from single to double, queen, or king.
- Since storage space can be a problem, only move the mattress on the dinette when you need to sleep and put it somewhere else when not in use.
Method 3: Decorating the Dinette Area
Another way to increase the comfort level of your RV dinette is to make the space cozier.
What to Prepare
- Paint or peel-off stickers
- Foldable table (optional)
Step 1. Add Pillows And Sheets For RV Dinette Bed
Some people can’t sleep in just a bed alone. The dinette bed becomes more comfortable to rest in when adding throw pillows and sheets.
- Putting plenty of pillows on the bed can help cushion your head and body against the walls. Pick pillows that are soft yet firm to get the best support.
- Sleeping on RV dinette also becomes cozy when you have sheets to cover you up when it’s cold. Choose sheets that have a similar size to the mattress topper.
Step 2. Upgrade The Table
After making the seats more comfortable, it’s time to give the table an upgrade. You can paint it, put on some cover, or get a new table entirely.
- Paint the table with your favorite color or cover it with peel-off stickers of your favorite design. A beautiful table can make eating more pleasant.
- Replace the table with something that converts into a bed. You can also opt for a foldable table to save space.
Watch this video on how to make your RV cozier.
Now that you know how to make RV dinette more comfortable, you can travel with many conveniences. All you need are a few upgrades, like new cushions, pillows, and a mattress topper. Make sure that everything suits your needs.
Do you find this tutorial helpful? Let us know in the comment section below. And share this article with your friends.
Okay, so I’m Philip Lopez. I join Riverside Trailer as an editor, where I will be doing research for both content and reviews. I contribute to studies aimed at understanding the most typical problems encountered by RVers on the road. I also keep up with the newest RVing gadget innovations so that I can promptly evaluate and recommend the best options.